Jurisdiction Map

The goal of the Communications Center is to provide prompt and efficient response to calls for service in emergency, non-emergency and other public safety situations.  Our goal is achieved by the utilization of qualified professional personnel, a Computer Aided Dispatch System, Radio System, and a computerized Enhanced 911 Telephone System. 

The Shelby County Sheriff’s Office Communications Center prioritizes the handling of calls based on immediate threat to life and/or property. 

Locality Considerations

It’s always important to know where you are when you call 9-1-1, even when calling from a landline that provides the information to the operator. You should always be able to tell the operator exactly where you are when you call.

When calling from your cell phone, give your address AND the nearest intersecting street (very important for verifying the address)  Example:

  • I live in Memphis at 123 S. Main Street near Union Avenue
  • I live in Collierville at 500 Poplar View Parkway near Civic Center Drive
  • I’m in a car accident on Perkins St and Walnut Grove

If an address is not available, use landmarks such as billboards, mile markers, buildings, etc. to describe the location.
Also, when calling from your cell phone, your signal may travel beyond municipal boundaries.  This makes stating your location even more important. When this happens, don’t be alarmed if the operator transfers you to the proper agency in your area. 
Source: Locality Considerations


Q: How do I know if a situation warrants calling 9-1-1?
A: Any situation that is life-threatening or involves significant property damage (e.g., a house on fire) should be addressed by calling 9-1-1.

Q: What if I call 9-1-1 by mistake?
A: DO NOT HANG UP. Tell the call-taker what happened so that he/she knows that there really isn't an emergency. If you hang up without speaking, you may cause the call-taker to believe that you are in serious danger (e.g., overcome by smoke in a house fire, threatened by an intruder, etc.).

Q: How can people who are deaf or speech/hearing-impaired call 9-1-1?  
A: People who are deaf or speech/hearing-impaired should have access to a TTY/TDD (Teletype/Telecommunications Device for the Deaf) in their home. Communications centers that answer 9-1-1 calls have special text telephones for responding to calls from these systems.  If a deaf or speech/hearing-impaired person doesn't have a TTY/TDD, he/she should call 9-1-1 and simply leave the line open. With most calls, the caller's address is displayed on the call-taker's screen and the help will be sent.  

Q: How can a non-English speaker use 9-1-1?
A: A call-taker can add an interpreter from an outside line. In this situation, a non-English speaking caller will hear the call-taker briefly speaking to an interpreter as well as some clicking sounds on the line before the interpreter addresses the caller. It is important for the caller to remain calm until the interpreter is on the line. 
Source: Shelby County 911 Frequently Asked Questions

Non-Emergency Numbers

For situations that require assistance but are not life-threatening, contact the public safety agency listed below that serves your location.

Bartlett Police ................... 385-5555
Collierville Police ................... 853-3207
Germantown Police ................... 754-7222
Memphis Fire ................... 458-8281
Memphis Police ................... 545-2677
Millington Police ................... 872-3333
Shelby County Fire ................... 222-8010
Shelby County Sheriff ................... 379-7625

The Library Information Center at the Memphis Public Library has helped provide connections between people in need and community resources since 1975. It has the most comprehensive database of human service resources in the area and is continuously updated.

For up-to-date information on road and travel conditions, traffic incidents and construction on Tennessee highways:  Tennessee 511

Contact Info

Phone: 901-379-7625